Thursday 4 December 2014

Volunteering in Hospitals/health sector

Hello,

11am

So today is my day off, was going to go to a volunteer training session for a society called 'Marrow society' by Antony Nolan, at my university but got lazy when I saw the rain (third time I ditched the training) luckily it isn't compulsory but I do want to join. They are a society who register or should I say help register potential bone marrow donors.

I didn't know what the society was about at first but after researching I understand it. There are patients in hospital whose bone marrow (a soft tissue found in certain bones in the body) which usually produces stem cells cannot do so, therefore their number in red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets decrease dramatically. Due to this decrease they become ill, cannot clot after injuries or wont be able to fight infections etc. A potential donor could donate their stem cells to the patient, this process is called stem cell transplant. These patients usually have leukemia and other immune diseases.

I specifically know about leukemia because my friend was hospitalized for it but after intense chemotherapy she got a lot better and didn't need the transplant.

Anyways, I am currently looking for volunteering opportunities in hospitals. I know its a vital thing to have for a medicine applications or I wont have a chance at all. I have from now up until October 2015 to do some volunteering or I wont apply to medicine. Its sooooooo hard finding it though, I've literally applied to so many places and currently going through the applications/paperwork before I get considered as a volunteer.
 Here's the list of all the places I have applied to:

- Homerton Hospital -Just filled in the application for a patient survey volunteer
- Whittington Hospital -volunteer package form on the way
- Royal London Hospital -meeting with the manager next week Thursday
- UCL Hospital - getting 2 honorary contracts for the Heart surgery department (shadowing)
- Middlesex hospital- Need actually just called the lady for a DBS check
- I've also applied for other companies such as the MSF, Samaritans etc but really want to work in a hospital.

If only one of the above would take me in (inshallah).

Updates on work done so far:
NILL -__-' I know I know I need to buckle down. BUT I am almost done with the Lab practical assignment.

Need to do:
- Peer review (marking somebodies critical review) BMS2113
- Online test for BMS2113
- Critical review Summative BMS2113
- Literature research proposal for my dissertation

So much to do and I am sitting here typing away whilst watching 'CHARMED' oOOps






No comments:

Post a Comment